Job # 2398
Seeking a Director of Category Management – Walmart Team located in Bentonville/Rogers, Arkansas. The Director will directly lead a team of four Category Managers and serve as an integral member of the Company Wal-Mart and Sams Sales Teams. The Director will proactively lead identifying opportunities and developing solutions utilizing a variety of analytical category tools (Retail Link, IRI, Kantar, RichMix, Research, etc.) that drive growth and create long term value for Walmart, Sams and Georgia-Pacific. The goal of this position is to turn analysis and insights into actionable recommendations that Wal-Mart can implement to grow its paper and household cleaning categories. The person in this role will lead and develop the category management team across all in store categories in mining data to identify insights, value creation and growth opportunities. The Director will be the catalyst to driving positive change at Walmart/Sams and within Company through deployment of our SalesForceEffectiveness capabilities: Joint Business Planning, Omni-Channel, Commercial Innovation and Portfolio Management.
This Role will report directly to the Sr. Director of Category Management. This executive role has high visibility to senior sales leadership within Company. If you are up to the challenge and are looking for a great opportunity to join and advance with Company, we would welcome the opportunity to talk further with you about this high potential development role.
A Day In The Life Typically Includes:
- Leverage insights tools to uncover consumer needs and provide Walmart/Sams with recommendations that align to their strategy and promote overall category growth.
- Develops long-term category vision & strategy and provides thought leadership to deliver actionable business insights that align with internal and customer merchandising & financial objectives.
- Develop key sustainable relationships with category Buyers, DMM’s and GMM level customer executives becoming a strong go-to Category Thought Leader.
- Continuously identify, develop, coach and motivate the talent of the category management team.
- Identify, quantify, and develop growth opportunities at Walmart/Sams and communicate findings to the Leadership team.
- Build comprehensive knowledge of the products, attributes, strategies, tactics and competitive trends in the marketplace for assigned categories.
- Builds and delivers compelling PowerPoint presentations & story boards to a variety of stakeholders (Company Consumer Division executive team, Walmart Sales Leadership Team, Syndicated Data vendor teams, etc.) to influence key outcomes.
- Collaborates with internal stakeholders (VP Sales, Sr. Director Sales, customer planning, Customer Investment, Shopper Marketing, etc.) to drive alignment and deployment of SFE capabilities, category priorities and effective execution across Walmart’s operating structure.
- Drive category opportunities through development of customer level DSMP optimization.
- Work back with HQ teams by providing data and input to our Category Development team shopper group purchase behaviors to help develop and implement best in class strategies our Company and all appropriate brands within the category.
- Utilize all relevant reporting tools and customize detailed reports as needed to provide the organization with an informed foundation and strong POV to manage the business.
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 10 years’ work experience in a Consumer Products Goods company
- At least 5 years’ work experience in a Category Management / Analysis.
- Advanced skills in telling analytical business stories that address growth opportunities and solves internal and customer problems.
- Current or recent Wal-Mart Inc experience.
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office, including Word, Excel & PowerPoint
What Will Put You Ahead?
- Master’s degree
- Previous Sales experience
- Strong understanding and proficiency with syndicated data, HH Panel, Spectra, customer specific shopper card data, assortment and space management tools.
- Previous experience developing analytical studies, models, templates, tools and in-market customer tests.
- Strong base of analytical skills to assess, interpret and translate from multiple data sources into actionable customer/shopper insights
- Functional and technical knowledge to perform the job at a high level of accomplishment and with minimal on-boarding time
- Exceptional knowledge and experience in category management best practices
- Demonstrate the virtue to become a trusted and reliable leader with internal and external customers
- Customer-focused individual dedicated to exceeding the expectations of internal and external customers
- Experience interfacing with customers/retailers about customer/shopper insights
- Ability to think broadly and objectively to grow business
- Ability to creatively find actionable solutions to address business questions and issues
- Ability to develop compelling action-oriented selling story presentation content
- Solid presentation, written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities to completion with minimum management oversight
- Strong interpersonal skills with a collaborative/team first style