Are you considering a career in the Walmart supplier community? Here are some suggestions to help you make the leap:
- Research the Industry – Read up on the consumer goods industry, study the stores, and follow Walmart in the news.
- Take Classes – Become an Excel expert. Get comfortable using PowerPoint and Access. Check out classes at NorthWest Arkansas Community College, 8th & Walton, and the University of Arkansas.
- Network – Seek out supplier events in the community. Introduce yourself, ask questions – and listen.
- Find an Internship – Interning for a supplier is a great way to learn the ropes. Some of the suppliers offer internships, primarily through college placement offices.
- Volunteer – Build a network of relationships as you contribute to your favorite civic and charitable causes.
- Look Your Best – Image isn’t everything, but it can certainly help! Make sure your image is positive and professional.
- Be Realistic – Companies require team players with great skills to manage their business with the world’s largest retailer. Do your homework, expect to start at the bottom, and be prepared to compete!